1. Initial consultation:
- What is the book about?
- Mood, images you have, or have in mind. If you already have images, you can send those to me.
- Colors, fonts (bright? Dark? Monochrome? Bw?; fancy fonts? Blocky? Quirky? Jazzy? Fun? Etc.)
- Layout: simple – one image and text? Complex – blend of images and text? Do you need me to look for images? Photos or vector art? Literal or symbolic?
- Text for front cover and back cover
- size of book, number of pages
2. Pass 1:
3-6 rough comps. Pick and choose direction, narrow down to one look, request changes (color lightening, font changes, etc.)
3. Pass 2:
2nd round of comps: 2-4 depending on pass 1.
4. Pass 3:
One comp with changes requested in pass 1. Any further changes at this point are minor. Proof title, taglines, author name, etc.
5. Pass 4:
Final high res cover. Layout and design are final.
6. Pass 5 for PRINT – if you need a full cover spread with spine and back cover:
Send me blurbs, bios, photos, etc for the back cover, and templates if needed.
7. Pass 6:
Layout of full spread with everything in place. Proof everything carefully and return to me.
8. Pass 7 and 8:
Any further text changes. No more changes after Pass 8.
75% due in the beginning. The rest due before work on final begins.